Web Radio Jesus Cristo Gospel: Noticias Internacional

segunda-feira, 6 de julho de 2015

Noticias Internacional

Boko Haram’s Civilian Attacks in Nigeria Intensify


Photo
Bodies of Nigerians killed in two bomb blasts were prepared for burial Monday in the north-central city of Jos. Attacks by the Boko Haram militant group killed at least 44 civilians on Sunday. Credit Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
DAKAR, Senegal — The violent campaign by the Boko Haram militant group against Nigerian civilians appeared to intensify late on Sunday with two deadly attacks in Jos, a city in central Nigeria, underscoring the challenge the country’s new president faces in trying to suppress the group.
The attacks killed at least 44 people, and possibly many more. Gunmen and suicide bombers struck a popular restaurant and a mosque, shooting worshipers who had gathered for Quranic readings during Ramadan. The attacks brought the death toll from Boko Haram attacks in the last week to more than 200.
The carnage in Jos was devastating. There was an explosion at the Yantaya mosque, and worshipers began to flee. Umar Farouk Musa, a spokesman for J.N.I., or Jama’atu Nasril Islam, the country’s main Muslim organization, said that after the blast, “people emerged from nowhere, five of them, holding sophisticated arms, shooting sporadically into the crowd.”
Mr. Musa said he witnessed the mosque attack. “We saw these people emerging from nowhere, covered with blankets,” he said in a telephone interview from Jos, referring to the gunmen. “Before we knew it, they disappeared into thin air. There were victims beyond what we could count.”
Photo
First African Church Mission in the central Nigerian city of Jos was attacked by a suicide bomber on Sunday. Credit Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
Mr. Musa said he had seen “more than 100 dead bodies,” though Nigerian media put the total death toll for the two attacks in Jos at half that figure.
The other attack, at a nearby site opposite the university in Jos, happened a few minutes earlier, when a suicide bomber walked into a restaurant and detonated his charge. Mr. Musa and colleagues arrived on the scene shortly afterward and “counted 15 dead bodies,” he said.
There have been deadly attacks in Nigeria almost daily over the last week, including several in villages in the north. Each has generally involved a bombing and indiscriminate shooting into crowds of civilians. A suicide bomber killed six people Sunday at a church in the northeast, and suicide bombers killed many civilians Friday in Maiduguri, the main city of the northeast.
The new Nigerian president, Muhammadu Buhari, is a former army general who has vowed to pursue a military campaign against Boko Haram more vigorously than his lackluster predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan. Mr. Buhari has already taken some measures, including moving the campaign’s nerve center to Borno State, where Boko Haram is strongest, and coordinating Nigeria’s efforts more closely with those of its neighbors Niger, Chad and Cameroon.
Analysts say that Boko Haram is responding by stepping up its attacks against civilian targets. “It’s a fallout from the pressure the federal government is mounting against the Boko Haram in the northeast,” said Muhammad Lawal Ishaq, the legal adviser at the central mosque in Jos. “They want to create diversionary tactics by attacking other soft spots,” he said.
After the church bombing on Sunday, Mr. Buhari’s spokesman talked of the government’s “total commitment to doing everything possible to eradicate Boko Haram, terrorism and mindless extremism from Nigeria in the shortest possible time.”
 
 

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário